8 Best Hot Rollers for Long Hair – 2019 Review
I love curling my hair. But I hate all the work that goes into it!
Between blow drying, waiting for my curling iron to heat up, and then taking the time to curl and hold each section of hair, I was about ready to give up on curly hair and just use my hot air brush.
But then I tried hot rollers, and I knew I had solved my problems.
I set out to find the best hot rollers for long hair. Stick around to learn which are the best hot rollers for you.
Best Hot Rollers for Long Hair
I loved the variety of rollers that came with this set. There were four super-jumbo and eight jumbos, which worked perfectly.
These are some of the best hot rollers for long hair because of the super clips that securely hold each ceramic-infused roller. These hot rollers gave me tremendous volume and stunning curls.
- Ceramic-infused technology for heat transfer and long-lasting curls
- With a dozen rollers that come in jumbo and super jumbo sizes, you can create big, bouncy salon-style curls
- More heat protection with twice the flocking of competitive products
- It includes different rollers of different sizes and super clips
- Heats up really fast
- It works perfectly even with long and thick hair
- You get beautiful hair after using these rollers
- Hair is best when slightly damp with a mousse or heat protector
- The plastic clips hold better
You can achieve the perfect 30-second curl with Caruso hot rollers. The set includes 30 rollers, including six each of petite, small, medium, large, and jumbo.
You can create nearly any hair style, and the curls are so strong that they can last up to several days. If you’ve never worked with steam, it’s a bit tricky at first, but you’ll love the results.
- It is great for all hair types and will help you create healthy, strong, beautiful curls with added body and shine
- Achieves the 30-second curl by blow-drying hair first to evaporate moisture
- Creates perfect spiral curls and waves which will last for days
- This product gives my hair curls that stay all-day
- It takes less time than with using a curling iron
- Lets you have a quick set up and easy takedown
- It is excellent for all hair types
- Some claim this product does not work on their thick hair
These rollers are super cute and incredibly affordable.
You’ll receive ten rollers and a full set of clips, plenty for even the longest and thickest hair.
The ceramic rollers activate unique ionic technology that helps to seal the hair cuticle during the curling process and keep frizzy hair at bay.
- Compact hot rollers for easy storage and for travel
- Exclusive J-Clip for better hold and minimal creasing
- Features worldwide voltage for your travels
- You get 10 rollers in different sizes that heat up in 90 seconds
- It hasn’t broken even when being forgotten to unplug the unit several times
- They are so easy to pack in the suit case
- Rollers heat up pretty quickly and gives you beautiful curls
- These heated rollers are designed to work on ordinary household current only
Spend a lot of time on the road? You can easily bring these curlers with you. There are only five rollers, but I found this to be enough while traveling.
It gave me just enough bounce and volume. I also loved the dual voltage for worldwide travel.
- Heats up in 2 minutes
- Includes 5 jumbo, 1.5″ rollers and super clips for smooth curls and voluminous waves
- Dual Voltage- 120V / 240V for worldwide travel, More heat protection for all types of hair
- Line cord is 5-feet in length
- These rollers make you feel like you just got a salon to blow out
- This product is perfect for those who don’t use a curling iron
- You get the look with minimal effort
- Your hair won’t frizz or get damaged
- Plastics clips make the curling difficult
I found the Babyliss hot rollers to be some of the best hot rollers for long hair because of how many rollers were included. You’ll be able to achieve salon-quality results in only a few minutes.
The rollers use nano titanium, which helps conduct heat and maintain stability. The rollers stay put, and I didn’t notice any unsightly lines.
- Professional flocked jumbo roller hair setter
- 12 velvety flocked jumbo rollers
- 1 1/2″ diameter generate far-infrared heat from a ceramic core
- Comes with 12 butterfly clips and 12 color-coded metal clips
- Features on or off switch with indicator light with color change sensor on roller tip indicating rollers are ready
- Ultra-fast heat-up
- Big and beautiful curls are achievable with this product
- The design is awesome and compact
- It does not get too hot so your hair won’t get damaged
- You won’t get that spiral curls, only that soft wave
In a rush? These are some of the best hot rollers for long hair when you only have a few minutes to spare.
The 20 rollers heat up in only 90 seconds, and curls set in only five minutes. I’ve relied on these rollers for last minute dates and mornings when I hit the snooze button a few more times than I should have.
- Pearl ceramic technology
- 90-second heat up
Sets curls in only 5 minutes
- 20 velvety soft flocked rollers (8 medium 1 inch, and 12 large 1 and 1 quarter inch)
- Cool touch end rings
- Voltage – 120 VAC 60Hz
- It works very well and heats fast
- Great for those with long and very straight hair
- The rollers are really easy to use
- The clip has a different closing with that makes it difficult to grab the roller
- The instructions that it came with are quite vague
- Too big to travel with
Looking for hot rollers that leave awesome volume? You won’t find any better than these. They heat up in under two minutes and have 50% more ions for smooth curls that last all day.
The set is also unique, with its variable temperatures that allow you to create loose waves or tough curls.
- Advanced ionic conditioning enhances manageability and adds frizz-free shine
- Titanium ceramic flocked rollers feature butterfly clip to allow superior hold
- High/low/off variable temperature for various settings
- 5 butterfly clips for easy clipping
- Storage pouch to keep item compact and organized
- You get that shine and smoothness that’s unparalleled
- The jumbo curlers retain body and volume of the hair
- Gives you the look that is like having a blow out in the salon
- The clips don’t hold the curlers with some users’ hair
These were some of the best hair rollers I worked with. They heated up quickly and were easy to secure.
I found my curls to be extra bouncy with these, and I never felt the heat on my scalp or skin.
There was a bit of a strange smell when I first used them, but this quickly disappeared. If you’re looking for the best hot rollers for thick hair, these could be it.
- Saves your precious time, money, and energy curling your hair
- 20-piece roller kit includes a variety of tools and features designed to simplify your daily hair styling routine
- Its storage box features individual slots for each roller as well as additional compartments for your free set of pinning and butterfly clips
- They heat very fast and give you decent curls
- Give you curls that last
- Rollers warp over time due to the heating
- Hot rollers only last for a minute
- Rollers do not slide in and out
What Are Hot Rollers?
Hot rollers are an easy-to-use hair styling tool. They are cylinders used to add curl, body, and volume without the need for a curling iron.
They’ve been used for decades, and many women, including myself, rely on them for their convenience and impressive curling capabilities.
How Do They Work?
Just as the name suggests, hot rollers use heat to set hair as desired. The cylinders come in different sizes, allowing the user to customize their look based on their hair length and desired curl size.
Hair is wrapped around each roller and left to set. Once the rollers are removed, either tight curls or loose waves are left behind.
How to Use Hot Rollers for Long Hair
Follow these brief instructions to rock your hot roller style:
1. Begin with completely dry hair. Blow dry if necessary.
2. Heat up rollers.
3. Section your hair. Separate the top, sides, and bottom. Clip apart.
4. Using the best hair rollers for your hair type and length, begin with a 1-inch wide strip of your hair. I like to start at the top of my head, but some prefer to start at the sides. See which works best for you. Spray the section with hairspray and lightly tease the roots.
5. Roll hair around the roller, securing with a clip once positioned on top of your head.
6. Repeat until all hair has been set in the rollers.
7. Wait for the rollers to cool. Gently remove from hair, lightly comb with fingers, and set with either more hairspray or an all-day setting product.
The Pros & Cons of Using Hot Rollers
Not sure if hot rollers are the right choice for your curling needs? I’ve racked my brain to come up with the pros and cons of using the styling tool to help make your decision easier.
- The best hot rollers heat up quickly. You can be ready to style in just a few minutes.
- Once the rollers are set, hair curls fast, especially when you think about how much longer it would take with a curling iron.
- If you use the right technique, the clips are sturdy. You don’t have to worry about them falling out before you’re ready to remove them.
- There are plenty of sizes available, allowing you to customize your look and use different sizes on different areas to focus on volume and curl tightness.
- Hot rollers are considered to be safer for your hair because the heat isn’t as high as with curling irons. You can get away with using hot rollers everyday with minimal risk of hair damage.
- You can work on other tasks while your hair curls. You can apply makeup, get dressed, or just sit and enjoy a cup of coffee while you wait.
- There is an art to setting hot rollers. If you’re a beginner, you might find it frustrating at first.
- Because there is less heat, some hair types don’t hold the curl as long as they would with a curling wand.
- Depending on the clips you use, some can leave behind harsh lines that are hard to disguise, making it obvious that you used curlers and taking away from the final result.
- Rollers can stop working. Depending on the brand, replacements can be hard to track down.
Overall, I’ve found hot rollers to be a convenient, safe, and effective way to curl my hair while saving time each morning. The technique has given me a few issues over the years, but when it comes to choosing between using a curling iron and hot rollers, rollers win every time.
Heatless Curlers vs Hot Rollers for Long Hair
If you’re trying to find the best hot rollers for thick hair, you might be wondering if there’s a difference between heatless curlers and hot rollers. I’ve used both and believe that hot rollers are ideal for both thick and long hair. Here’s why.
If you have thick and long hair, it’s going to take some time to put it all in rollers, whether they’re heated or not. But if you’re using heatless curlers, you have to spend time hitting them with a blow dryer if you want the curl to last.
In my opinion, this added step takes away from the convenience of using rollers in the first place.
With hot rollers, I just have to set my hair and wait. I can watch TV, pick out my clothes, or eat breakfast. I’ve also found that the curl made with hot rollers lasts a lot longer than those made without heat.
However, heatless curlers are the best hair rollers to sleep in.
If your hair is severely damaged, I would recommend using heatless curlers to prevent any more issues while you work on healing your hair. But if your hair is healthy, hot rollers are perfect for getting the look you want without any added hassle.
Hot Rollers vs Curling Wands
Every girl has their favorite curling wand. In some situations, it’s definitely better to use a wand than a roller.
But if you want to add volume and a bit of curl to your hair on a daily basis, using the best hot rollers is the way to go.
Hot rollers take less time. Once you get the technique of setting your hair down, it should only take a few minutes, compared to sectioning your hair and curling each one with the wand.
If you use the best hot curlers, they’re also safer for your hair. Hot hair rollers use less heat and produce the same result. Just make sure to use a heat protectant spray. You can rest easy knowing that you’re getting the style you want without sacrificing the health of your hair.
How to Keep Your Hair Curled Throughout the Day
It’s easy to keep your curl lasting all day, if you’re using the best hot curlers for long hair.
First, make sure you spray your hair with a bit of hairspray or other setting product before rolling. Roll your hair tightly and properly secure each section. Before removing the rollers, make sure you wait until they are completely cooled down.
This allows the cuticles of your hair to seal, securing each curl. Finally, finish with a little more hairspray or setting product.
Avoid getting your hair wet and try to keep from adjusting it all day long. Most days, my curls last all day and even overnight.
What Are the Best Ways to Get Large Hair Curls?
If you’re using hot rollers, you’ll want to use a medium size to get large hair curls. The smallest size will produce tight curls while the largest will mainly give you volume with a bit of a wave. Stick with the medium sizes for larger curls.
Make sure to work with small sections and wrap the hair away from your face. Let the rollers completely cool down before removing them. Don’t use a brush. Instead, run your fingers through your hair as needed to position and style. Finish with hairspray.
What Is the Best Way to Curl Thick Hair?
No matter the method, the trick to curling thick hair is in the sectioning. You never want to roll too much hair, whether on a roller or on a curling iron barrel. If you work with small sections, you’ll get more curl and your style will last longer.
Safety Precautions When Using Hot Rollers
Hot rollers are fairly safe, but follow these precautions to ensure having a good experience:
- Never touch any exposed metal or ceramic on your rollers.
- Use clips as instructed.
- Don’t roll hair too tight. Rollers shouldn’t be painful.
- Never plug in your rollers next to a body of water.
- Never leave your rollers plugged in for extended amounts of time.
Overall, rollers are one of the easiest and safest ways I’ve curled my hair. If you’re looking for the best hot rollers for long hair, it’s just a matter of seeing which size rollers are ideal for your intended style and which brand has the features most important to you.
Take your time going over the best hot rollers reviews.
Once you see for yourself how easy and convenient hair rollers are, they’ll quickly find a permanent home on your bathroom counter.