10 Best Dandruff Shampoos for Men – 2019 Review
I’m a lucky girl.
My husband is not only good-looking, but he’s also incredibly supportive in every way.
He’s sweet, kind, and caring, and always putting his family’s needs above his own.
So when he came to me about his disappointing struggle with dandruff, I knew it was my turn to step in and help him find the best dandruff shampoo for men.
Together, we researched the causes of dandruff and what to look for in a dandruff shampoo. We tried dozens of brands and came up with our list of the best dandruff shampoo reviews.
Read along to discover which of these is the best anti-dandruff shampoo for men.
The Best Dandruff Shampoos for Men
When it comes to fighting dandruff, it’s all about treating the scalp. This argan oil shampoo includes avocado oil, jojoba oil, and peach kernel oil to rejuvenate hair while treating and nourishing the scalp.
You won’t find any added ingredients in this shampoo, either. There are no artificial colors or additives, but you will find plenty of vitamins and nutrients.
I loved how this made my husband’s hair smell. He said the itchiness was gone after the first use.
- With Almond, Argan, Jojoba, Peach Kernel, Avocado, Keratin, Camellia Seed
- 100% Safe for Color Treated Hair
- For Men, Women, and Teens
- All Hair Types
- Most Beneficial Haircare Product Available
- This formula does not feel heavy so it’s great if you have thin hair
- Converts straw-like hair to silky hair
- Shampoo cleans and rinses well
- Does not moisturized dry hair
It’s always a great idea to treat dandruff with sage, and this shampoo contains just the right amount. You won’t find any harsh ingredients, either.
There are no sulfates or parabens, and the shampoo is also cruelty-free and vegan-friendly. This product is safe for color-treated hair as well.
My husband had tremendous results with this shampoo. He said it filled up the shower with a relaxing and therapeutic aroma that started off his day on a relaxing note.
- For Anti-Dandruff with Organic Tea Tree Oil, Jojoba, and Argan,
- Natural and Sulfate-Free Treatment for Women and Men
- Safe for Color Treated Hair
- It really helps out scalp problems
- This product is an effective remedy for dandruff
- Shampoo tames scalp psoriasis
- It really cleans the hair and you will not find flakes or dead skin anywhere
- May cause hair loss
This is possibly the best medicated anti-dandruff shampoo for men that my husband tried. He loved the thick, rich lather and found that the shampoo rinsed clean and left his hair feeling silky and full of bounce.
The bottle lasts forever, even though it’s on the smaller side because you only need to use it twice a week to treat dandruff. The active ingredient is ketoconazole, which helps to control flaking, scaling, and itching.
If you’ve given up on dandruff shampoo, it’s because you haven’t given this one a try. You’re sure to see results.
- Binds to the natural protein of your hair to keep working between shampoos
- Can be used on color-treated and chemically processed hair
- Bottle contains 7 oz of A-D ketoconazole shampoo
- It works even for those with skin issues
- It solves your dandruff problems
- It is worth the money
- Really cleans the hair and scalp
- After using for a while, the scalp starts to get irritated and burn
Both my husband and I tried this shampoo. If your dandruff is the result of an oily scalp, this shampoo will do the trick. It removes oil and grease build-up without drying out your skin or hair.
This shampoo features lemon essential oil to balance out sebum production and erases itchiness and scaling. My husband’s skin is a little sensitive, but the hypoallergenic formula didn’t leave him red or blotchy.
He also noticed a difference in the texture of his hair. It felt and looked much thicker
- Shampoo for Oily Hair & Oily Scalp
- Natural Dandruff Treatment for Women and Men
- Pure Moisturizing dandruff treatment
- Hair strengthening shampoo for oily scalp and dandruff
- Removes oil and grease build up on your scalp
- It helps with greasy and Color-treated hair
- Does not work for some
- Its smell is not appealing for some
This brand contains one of the best natural ingredients for fighting dandruff. Tea tree oil can eliminate infections on the scalp that can cause dandruff.
If you’ve never tried a dandruff shampoo with tea tree oil, you need to. It might just be the ingredient your body needs to finally kick dandruff to the curb.
My husband keeps this shampoo in his travel bag for work. He loves knowing that even if a different climate begins to wreak havoc on his hair, he won’t have a problem with dandruff.
- Contains invigorating Tea Tree Oil
- For All Hair Types
- Designed specifically for the modern man who demands the best
- It lathers really well and cleans without being harsh
- This product is refreshing and invigorating
- It also smells so good
- For some, it dries the hair and worsens dandruff
- It makes scalp itchy
If you’re looking for a shampoo that not only treats dandruff but also helps regrow thinning hair, this is it. It’s a sulfate-free shampoo that hydrates and eliminates dry, itchy scalp.
Because of this, it’s one of the best men’s shampoos for dry itchy scalp. The antifungal and antibacterial properties of this product will eliminate scalp issues and leave behind a healthier environment for growth. Imagine being able to eliminate hair loss, shedding, and dandruff with one product!
This shampoo will save you time, money, and most importantly, frustration. If you prefer separate products, you’ll need to find a great hair loss shampoo as well as a solution for dandruff problem.
- Promotes fast hair growth and regrowth for strengthened, luscious locks
- Hydrates the scalp, locks in moisture & cleans the hair follicles to encourage healthy hair and skin
- The best formula to eliminate hair loss, shedding, and thinning hair
- It soothes irritated the itchy scalp and eliminating flakes
- This formula will leave your hair feeling rejuvenated and fresh
- You will immediately see improvement in the itching of your scalp
- The smell is very pleasant
- Very effective in getting rid of dry patches on the scalp
- Does not work on everyone, itching may not go away
- The smell could be very strong for some users
If you’re looking for the strongest dandruff shampoo, this might be it. This shampoo contains coal tar, which is an incredibly effective ingredient for treating dandruff.
This brand is also infused with deeply hydrating oils, including jojoba and argan, so you don’t have to worry about hair drying out.
My husband felt instant relief from his dry and itchy scalp. It did take a couple of weeks to see a difference in his dandruff level, but it definitely subsided.
You do need to leave this shampoo on for about five minutes before rinsing for best results. If you’re used to quick showers, this might be a deal breaker. But if you have the time, you’ll surely notice results.
- ArtNaturals coal tar therapeutic shampoo cleanses and unclogs the scalp of flakes and scales
- This soothing shampoo leaves hair clean, soft and manageable
- The anti-dandruff formula it has works by causing the skin to shed dead cells
- It helps those with bad scalp psoriasis
- This shampoo helps with the itching, irritation, and redness
- It is greatly recommended for Seborrheic Dermatitis clear-up and maintenance
- It smells really great
- Eliminates dandruff and itchiness
- It clears up the scalp but can also experience hair loss
Here’s a color safe shampoo that’s paraben free and designed for both men and women. It helps treat dry and itchy scalps while also healing brittle ends.
My husband said his hair felt a little dry after using it, but that’s normal with such a natural shampoo. Just follow up with a natural conditioner and your hair will feel great once it dries.
You can also use a leave in conditioner for men. But because of the natural ingredients, my husband found it best to shampoo every other day.
I used this shampoo for a couple of weeks myself. I thought the smell was a little more masculine, but I definitely noticed an improvement in the health of my scalp.
- Hair care solution for dry or itchy scalp with dandruff or damaged ends – works best with a natural hair conditioner
- Rich in amino acids and antioxidants to protect your hair with Vitamin E and A
- Pure Jojoba oil and botanical keratin for a moisturizing experience
- Premium and color safe shampoo that is paraben and cruelty free
- You will see improvement in a few days and you will see dandruff disappearing
- It does a good job of washing the hair
- This shampoo smells woody and aromatic
- Does not have any effect on others
- The scent could be a bit overwhelming for some
If you’ve had results with dandruff shampoos but never completely got rid of your flakes, you need an extra-strength treatment to finish the job.
This dandruff shampoo is infused with zinc, which seems to be the magic ingredient for difficult dandruff.
One of my husband’s friends found out we were trying out dandruff shampoo, and he actually told us about this one. He said it was the only dandruff shampoo that ever completely solved his dandruff problem.
If you’ve learned to accept your dandruff, I urge you to try this shampoo. The formula is unique, affordable, and effective.
- For maximum strength dandruff relief
- Cleans and clarifies
- Uses all-natural ingredients
- It is a great affordable, cruelty-free dandruff shampoo
- Great for cleaning hair
- Works best if used frequently and not once a week
- They have a new formula which could be drying to your hair
I’ve always loved American Crew shampoo. My husband has used it in the past and it always makes his hair smell amazing. So when I found out they had a dandruff shampoo, I knew he had to try it.
I quickly realized why the shampoo smells so great. It contains rosemary, peppermint, and tea tree oil. It’s the perfect combination.
The formula also includes zinc to prevent itching and silicones to enhance hair strength and add volume.
This is an all-in-one treatment that’s sure to leave you with flake-free hair that looks and smells great. My husband still uses this shampoo, partially because it helps with his dandruff but mostly because I’m in love with the smell!
- Restores back the health of your hair and scalp
- It is formulated with zinc pyrithione to avoid any flaking and itching
- It freshens and hydrates the hair and scalp
- Works very well against dandruff
- It really clears up eczema and dandruff off the scalp
- It does not dry out the hair
- The shampoo smells very medicinal and is not very pleasant
- The product is really flakey and does not work sometimes
What Is Dandruff?
If you’ve ever had dandruff, you know exactly what it looks like. Dandruff is the name given for white, oily-looking flakes that fall from your scalp, littering your hair and your shoulders. Your scalp might also be itchy and scaly.
Dandruff is essentially dry and dead flaking skin from an unhealthy scalp. There are certain medical conditions that can cause dandruff, but in most cases, the scalp is to blame.
Why Do We Get It?
Dandruff is caused by excessive skin cell shedding. While shedding is normal, people with dandruff experience shedding at a faster rate.
When this faster shedding is combined with excess oil production, a common symptom of those who suffer from dandruff, the cells clump together and form the recognizable white flakes that can be quite embarrassing.
There are other factors that can cause dandruff, including skin sensitivity, dry skin, and certain skin conditions like eczema or psoriasis.
Yeast overgrowth is yet another cause. This can be caused by a weakened immune system or stress.
If you’ve struggled with dandruff for most of your adult life, it might be best to schedule an appointment with your dermatologist to determine the exact cause of your dandruff. This can help you find the best dandruff shampoo for your specific situation.
Is Having Dandruff Dangerous?
Dandruff itself is more of an inconvenience than a danger. There are times when dandruff can be caused by fungal infections.
If this is the case, a visit to your dermatologist is in order if you are unable to clear the infection yourself.
While rare, infections of any kind can spread and worsen. But for the most part, dandruff is more of a cosmetic issue than a health concern.
How Can We Avoid It?
There are several factors that contribute to dandruff, including the following:
Dandruff mostly affects young adults. There are cases of dandruff plaguing older people, but you’ll mostly struggle with it during your earlier years.
Males tend to suffer from dandruff more than women. Hormones play a role but so does the makeup of the scalp, which differs between the sexes.
Dandruff can get worse with excess oil. If your scalp is producing too much oil, dandruff can either develop or worsen.
If you have been diagnosed with an illness, either temporary or permanent, which affects the immune system, you’re more prone to developing dandruff.
When it comes to preventing dandruff, there are only so many things you can change. In the case of the previously listed factors, the best way to prevent dandruff is to keep your hair moisturized, but not oily, and stay as healthy as possible.
But if you can’t prevent it completely, you’ll need to choose the best option for you from the best dandruff shampoos.
How to Wash Your Hair Using Dandruff Shampoo for Men
Believe it or not, there is a right way and a wrong way to wash your hair with dandruff shampoo. Once you’ve found the best dandruff shampoo for men, remember the following instructions to make sure you’re getting the most out of your treatment.
1. Begin by rinsing your hair and removing any debris. This will also open the cuticle of each strand, making it easier to remove dirt and excess oil.
2. Condition next. I know this seems out of order, but by using conditioner first, you’ll be keeping your hair moisturized before treating your scalp. This can help stop the cycle of dandruff.
3. Next, use a small amount of dandruff shampoo on your scalp. This is where the bulk of excess oil and dead skin will be. There’s no need to scrub the ends of your hair if it’s on the longer side.
4. Make sure that you’re gentle while scrubbing. Scrubbing harder will only irritate your scalp and can lead to more excess sebum production as your skin tries to heal itself.
5. Rinse your scalp and hair with cool water, which helps to seal the cuticle and leave your hair more moisturized and shiny. There’s no need to repeat shampooing, even if your bottle says to do so.
6. As long as your hair is short, you shouldn’t need to add more conditioner. But if it’s longer, feel free to run a bit through the ends and let it soak while you finish showering. Again, rinse with cool water.
How Often Should You Wash Your Hair?
You’ve probably heard that we should wash our hair less frequently. This is only generally speaking. There are a few circumstances that warrant more hair washing, and dandruff is one of them.
We are told to wash our hair less frequently because daily scrubbing can strip the scalp and hair of the oils it needs to stay moisturized and healthy. But skipping a day or two between shampoos can actually make dandruff worse.
The extended time can lead to more buildup of oil and dead skin cells. This feeds yeast and fungi and makes dandruff even more noticeable.
But you can’t shampoo every day with a general shampoo and conquer dandruff. It is absolutely necessary to find the best dandruff shampoo for men and use it every single day for the best results.
What Are the Active Ingredients of an Effective Dandruff Shampoo?
When you’re looking for the best dandruff shampoo for men, there are a few ingredients you should look for. Take a look at the following and compare them to your current dandruff shampoo. Is there anything it’s missing?
Coal tar has been known to treat several skin conditions. It is often found in some of the best anti-dandruff shampoos for men brands. It slows down the regeneration of cells and prevents premature flaking.
Normally found in acne treatments, salicylic acid can be beneficial for those suffering from dandruff as well. It’s commonly found in dandruff shampoo and can help to soften the scalp. When combined with coal tar, dandruff control can easily be obtained.
This ingredient has been used for decades to treat fungal infections, which is often the root cause of dandruff. It also regulates yeast and oil production, leaving the scalp healthy and moisturized. It’s commonly found in some of the best dandruff shampoos.
Essential oils have many antifungal and antibacterial properties. If your dandruff is the result of scalp infection, essential oils can help heal the infection and leave your scalp smooth, moisturized, and healthy.
When it comes to finding the best ingredient for your dandruff shampoo, it’s mostly about finding that single ingredient, or combination of ingredients, that works best for you. If one doesn’t give you the results you’re after, try another. You’re sure to find the winning combination with a bit of trial and error.
Is There a Difference Between Dandruff Shampoo for Men & Dandruff Shampoo for Women?
Yes, there is a difference between dandruff shampoo for men and dandruff shampoo for women. Men and women have different scalps. When it comes to treating dandruff, the approach needs to be different between the sexes.
A man’s scalp can produce 50% more sebum than a female’s. This is why a dandruff shampoo that works for a woman might not work for a man.
Men, in general, are more prone to dandruff, thanks to their increased sebum and weakened scalp barrier.
If you’re looking for the best dandruff shampoo for men, make sure it’s first of all made for a man’s scalp and is geared towards cleansing sebum from pores and keeping the scalp moisturized and nourished.
My husband is so much happier now that his dandruff is under control. And I felt great being able to finally give back and help him with one of his problems.
I hope that you’ve enjoyed reading through the best dandruff shampoo reviews and that they’ve helped you take a step forward in your battle against dandruff.
The solution for your dandruff problem is closer than you realize, once you start using the best dandruff shampoo for men. You can be enjoying flake-free hair in no time!