Have you heard of lactic acid? When added to lotion, lactic acid can be used for moisturizing and softening scaly, dry skin. Furthermore, it heals itchiness associated with a variety of skin conditions.
Lactic acid works simply by increasing the amount of water found in the skin, rehydrating it and making it soft and supple.
I would never have thought that acid could be good for my face. But once my beautician mentioned the positive effects of lactic acid lotion, I was immediately interested.
I couldn’t believe that there was a lotion that fought aging, eliminated breakouts and left behind smooth, moisturized skin!
Read on to discover which lactic acid moisturizer is my favorite, and what it can do for your skin too!
The Best Lactic Acid Lotions
If you’re nervous about how your skin will react to lactic acid, this lotion only contains 12% of the ingredient. It relieves rough, dry skin and gently exfoliates while it hydrates.
I love this lotion! I’ll warn you, however, that to see results, you must use it consistently. Use it at least once a day.
If your skin feels greasy after using it, keep massaging the lotion in until it’s fully absorbed.
I use this lotion on my legs, as well! My legs have never felt softer, even after skipping a day of shaving!
- It greatly relieves rough and dry skin
- Exfoliates skin nicely
- Contains 12% Lactic acid
- This product helps repair skin problems
- Has a burning sensation on the first few tries
Need a lotion for your entire body? This is it. I use lactic acid moisturizer every day after taking a shower.
My skin drinks it in, and it makes the rough patches on my elbows and feet completely disappear!
It’s fragrance-free, as well, so you can apply it all over without worrying about a lingering scent lasting all day.
- This is perfect for rough and dry skin
- Guaranteed to have long-lasting moisture
- It can be applied to the whole body
- Mild stinging sensation may occur for sensitive skins
This gel is only for those who know how to administer a lactic acid peel. There’s enough in this bottle for as many as 20 full facial peels so you can save quite a bit of money compared to visiting your local salon.
If you’re a first time user, be sure to follow the directions carefully.
Once I knew what I was doing, I fell in love with this product!
I apply a peel each week, and it’s now one of my favorite skin treatments!
- Can give 15-20 full facial peels
- Makes the face incredibly feeling soft
- Not advisable for those with sensitive skin
This cream works on severely dry areas like magic!
It’s fragrance-free and has a non-greasy formula that makes it perfect for daily applications.
In fact, it used to only be available by prescription, but now you can get it here!
If you need a lactic acid cream that can tackle all of your skin problems and more, this is the one to try.
- Heals severely dry areas
- Smooths, repairs, and softens
- Moisturizes the skin perfectly
- Mild tingling sensation for those who have sensitive skin
I heard of this lotion from a friend who has Keratosis Pilaris.
This skin problem causes small, white bumps to form on the back of the arms and can also be present on the legs, back and face.
She became used to the bumps after having to deal with them for years, but after using this cream for a few weeks, it cleared them up entirely!.
While I don’t have the condition, daily use of this lotion healed my dry and cracked skin like magic.
- Works well for extra dry and rough skin
- Has natural skin moisturizing agents
- Can be bought without a prescription already
- Shows positive results after consistent use
- Problems with packaging
Sometimes my skin gets a little red, especially as the seasons change and the air becomes drier.
I’ve always just dealt with it until it went away on its own, but I was excited to try a lactic acid cream this year to see if it made a difference.
And guess what? It worked! I was so happy to see that my skin quickly went from red and irritated to even and clear.
- Helps treat dry and rough skin
- Consistent reports of the product treating Keratosis Pilaris
- Problems with packaging
This is my go-to lotion for when I notice some extra wrinkles forming around my eyes or on my forehead.
After a couple of weeks of consistent use, my skin is now restored to a younger version of itself!
I also love the added ingredients in this lotion, including green tea, aloe vera, and chamomile.
- Has natural ingredients of aloe vera, green tea, and chamomile
- Exfoliates dead and dull cells on the skin
- Treats very dry skin
- Renews the skin, smoothens and softens skin
- Can treat sun-damaged skin
- Has a strong scent
If you’re on a budget, I highly recommend Eucerin Advanced Repair Body Lotion. It’s affordable, yet tackles rough skin and provides intense moisture.
I was a bit skeptical at first, but if you’re looking for a lactic acid lotion to lighten skin, give this one a try.
I am blown away at the effectiveness of such an affordable lotion.
My skin is now smooth and clear without the high price of a designer lotion.
- Helps repair very dry skin
- Gives 48-hour intense moisture
- Very budget friendly
- Reports of the inconsistency of product
Here’s another at-home, lactic acid peel product that I have tried and now absolutely love!
The instructions are easy to follow, and I feel like I am in complete control of the procedure.
Lactic peels increase the production of collagen and elastin fibers.
I believe this product does as well as any peel applied at a salon. After just a few treatments, my face feels smoother than it has in ages.
- Helps rejuvenate skin
- Helps smoothen out fine lines and wrinkles
- Effective ingredients
- Evens out skin tone and texture
- Shows results in 1 to 2 days
- Problems with delivery
My dermatologist recommended this cream, and I could not have been more impressed. It claims to do it all, from repairing sun damage and fading age spots to healing acne and preventing clogged pores…
And guess what? I have to agree with the claims. It instantly transformed my skin, after just one use.
Of course, I still use it at least once a day, and I am totally blown away as it reduced the appearance of previous acne scars. If you’re determined to even out your skin tone, this is the cream for you.
- Helps repair sun damaged skin
- Fades age spots
- Treats and helps acne prone skin
- Also used as a blackhead remover
- Diminishes fine lines and wrinkles
- Softens acne scars
- Reports on the inconsistency of the product
What Is Lactic Acid
Even though it sounds a bit scary and even dangerous, there are several acids that are great for your skin, including lactic acid. This type of acid is made from sour milk, which doesn’t sound appetizing but does come with a long list of skin benefits.
Another acid, glycolic acid, seems to get all of the attention. I’ve used glycolic acid lotion before with great results. It’s great for fighting ageing and can help clear acne but because its molecules are incredibly small compared to other acids, it can lead to redness and skin irritation for some.
This is why lactic acid is so great. It focuses more on the surface of your skin and can be used by those who are sensitive to glycolic acid.
Benefits Of Lactic Acid Lotion
A lotion with lactic acid can do it all and then some. When it comes to finding the perfect lotion, lactic acid lotion could be it. Take a look at all it can do for your skin, starting today!
- Reverse Aging: If you have fine lines or wrinkles, using one of my recommended lotions can help to smooth these lines and leave behind more youthful looking skin.
- Even Skin Tone: If you have freckles or age spots, a lotion with lactic acid can help to even out your skin tone, making it easier to apply makeup, or to even give you clearer skin without having to wear makeup.
- Improve Skin Texture: Want your skin to feel uber smooth? You need an acid moisturizer. It’s the best way to improve your skin’s texture and to again enjoy the soft skin of your youth.
- Reduce Scarring: Whether you have a scar that’s a month old or one from birth, an acid moisturizer can help to soften scar tissue and reduce the appearance of uneven skin tones.
- Control Oil Levels: If you’re battling an oil slick every day on your face, a lotion with acid in it can help balance out your sebum levels, leaving you with perfectly moisturized skin that stays that way all day long.
- Eliminate Breakouts: By balancing out sebum production, you can expect to experience fewer breakouts with lactic acid lotion. With less irritation, your face won’t have any redness at all.
How Do I Apply It
There are three main ways to use lactic acid. Read on to see which one of these methods will fit into your schedule and beauty routine the best.
● In a cleanser: A cleanser with lactic acid is a simple and effective way to take advantage of the acid’s benefits without having to add an extra step to your beauty routine.
Your skin will feel squeaky clean and extra smooth after using a cleanser with the acid added to it.
● In a lotion: This is my favorite way to use lactic acid. While the acid might have to fight for your attention if used in a lotion with a crazy amount of ingredients, it will still begin to transform your skin with regular use.
Remember, lactic acid is great for acne, so if you suffer from breakouts on your back, arms or legs, a lotion with lactic acid could be a perfect treatment. When using a lotion, be sure to wash your hands after thoroughly rubbing the lotion onto desired areas.
● As a peel: You’ll want to visit your favorite spa if you’re interested in a lactic acid peel. If applied weekly or biweekly, your skin will really transform. Just remember, consistency is key.
Lactic Acid Lotion Before And After
Your “before and after experience” will vary based on the way you apply the lactic acid and whether or not you’re using a lactic acid lotion for professional skin care.
- A cleanser: You can expect slow but steady results. You will first notice any redness disappearing. Next, your moisture levels will balance out. Finally, any acne that you have will begin to dissipate and eventually disappear completely.
- A lotion: You can experience results in just a few days, depending on the other ingredients in the lotion. However, some can take a few weeks. Again, you’ll notice the redness disappear, followed by an increase in moisture. Finally, your skin will become blemish-free.
- A peel: A peel will give you the most dramatic before and after the result, but should only be applied under the supervision of a licensed cosmetologist.
Lactic acid peels have high concentrations of acid, making them more effective, but potentially more dangerous if the directions are not closely followed.
You’ll love the uber fast results gained from a lactic acid peel, as long as you go down the professional route.
Is It Safe?
Lactic acid for skin is both safe and natural. The largest risk taken when using a product containing lactic acid is an allergic reaction. Therefore, if you notice unusual redness, tingling or irritation, stop using the product immediately and seek medical attention.
It should be noted that these reactions are rare and almost never serious.
If you take any prescription or nonprescription medicine on a daily basis, have allergies to foods or are pregnant, trying to become pregnant or breastfeeding, you should speak with your doctor before using lactic acid lotion as a precaution. This will prevent any interactions, although these are rare, as well.
Are There Any Side Effects?
All medicines, especially those applied to the face, can cause side effects. The good news is that when it comes to lactic acid for skin, side effects are virtually unheard of.
Common side effects of alpha hydroxy acids, including lactic acid, can be mild and temporary burning, skin irritation, peeling, redness, stinging or sensitivity. If any of these side effects persist, get in touch with a medical professional at your earliest convenience.
Some severe side effects include allergic reactions like hives rash, itching, chest tightness, difficulty breathing or swelling of the lips, mouth, face, or tongue, severe burning, peeling, redness, stinging or irritation.
Try lactic acid for yourself!
Don’t let the term “acid” scare you away. Lactic acid is incredibly safe to use, and it’s unbelievably effective at transforming your skin! Only an application or two, per day, is all it takes.
Consider what it can mean to get back your supple, youthful skin which is free from breakouts and has a beautiful, healthy glow!
If you’re not happy with your skin’s appearance, give lactic acid for skin a try. You’re sure to love the results. I know that I do!