Is your hair thinning?
It’s a devastating feeling when you look in the mirror and see a larger part or even a bald spot. At one point in my life, I was embarrassed and ashamed of my hair.
One day, I decided to do something about it. After hours of research and plenty of trial and error, I’ve come up with some great tools and routines to help you regrow hair naturally and get back to living your life.
Why We Lose Our Hair
There are many reasons behind hair loss. One might be the cause behind your thinning locks or you might be battling quite a few. Do any of these sound like the culprit?
- Physical Stress: If your body and emotions are taking on more than they can handle, your health will suffer. When your body can’t perform as it should, hair loss is often one of the first signs.
- Pregnancy: Pregnancy is beautiful and you might even experience thicker, shinier hair before giving birth. But most women experience postpartum hair loss. Most of the time, it stops on its own but for some, the damage can be quite noticeable.
- Hormones: As women age, hormones drastically change. This brings along a long list of side effects and one of them is thinning hair.
- Diet: Most specifically, if you aren’t eating enough protein, your body can’t produce thick, healthy hair. If your diet consists of fast food or not enough nutrients, your hair is sure to eventually suffer.
- Medication: There are certain medications, like antidepressants and blood thinners, that can cause thinning hair.
Phases of Regrowth
There are three stages of hair growth. If these cycles are interrupted for any reason, your hair will begin to appear thinner and lifeless and you’ll be stuck wondering how to regrow hair.
- Anagen Phase: This is known as the growth phase. It can last from two to six years, depending on genetics. The longer your hair stays in this phase, the longer that it will grow. Usually 85% of the hairs on your head are in this phase at any given time.
- Catagen Phase: This phase signals the end of growth for a strand of hair. About 1% of your hair is at this phase at any given time. The follicle shrinks and the hair strand is cut off from its blood supply. The hair will remain but will not grow longer and can begin to become brittle or damaged.
- Telogen Phase: This is known as the resting phase and when in this stage, hair follicles can remain dormant for one to four months. Up to 15% of your hair follicles are in this phase at any given time. The follicles will shed and within two weeks, a new strand of hair will begin to grow.
But for some, underlying causes stop the new hair from growing. When this happens, hair begins to feel and look much thinner, making it difficult to regrow hair.
The good news is that there are a few things you can do to keep your hair cycling through each phase flawlessly. Read on to learn my tried and true remedies for restoring natural hair growth.
Massage Your Scalp Daily
To regrow hair, take a few minutes each day to rub, knead and apply pressure to the skin of your scalp using your fingers and hands. This can be done in the shower or right before sleep for a relaxing experience.
This helps with hair loss because it increases blood flow to your scalp, helping to keep hair nourished and providing follicles with enough stimulation to shorten dormant periods.
Use a Wide Tooth Wood Comb
Brushing your hair is important for its health but there’s a right way and a wrong way to do it.
Use a wide tooth wooden comb to get rid of tangles and prevent damage for natural hair regrowth.
By keeping your existing hair healthy and free of split ends, it’s less prone to breakage.
The key to avoiding thinning hair is to avoid unnecessary shedding and breakage, which can lead to losing hundreds of hairs each week.
Use Essential Oils
Essential oils can be used for a wide variety of natural and homeopathic remedies, including hair loss.
The most effective against hair loss are kalonji oil, Rosemary, Lavender, Cedarwood and Thyme.
You can add a couple drops of each to your shampoo or make a mist by adding the oils to a spray bottle with distilled water.
Be sure to massage the oils into your scalp, focusing on problem areas, to regrow hair naturally.
If you aren’t giving your body the nutrients it needs, you can’t expect improved hair growth. The best way to regrow hair naturally is to focus on adding these key foods to your diet.
- Carrots: Carrots can add thickness to your hair and make it grow faster. It also protects existing hair from pollution damage, preventing premature hair loss.
- Eggs: Eggs are packed full of protein and can increase hair growth naturally. The protein helps to rebuild damaged hair and temporarily strengthens it.
- Oats: Oats are full of the important minerals and vitamins needed by the body to grow healthy hair. A bowl of oatmeal every morning can make hair shiny, soft and strong.
- Walnuts: Walnut has plenty of omega-6 fatty acids, crucial for a healthy body and hair. It also has iron, zinc and B vitamins for healthy new growth.
You should also add plenty of foods rich in Vitamin-C, including strawberries, tomatoes, watermelon, mangos, kiwi and citrus fruits.
Eat Flax Seeds
Eating more flax seeds can be an affordable and easy way to naturally regrow lost hair.
They taste pretty great and you can either eat them as is or incorporate them into a smoothie or other foods.
They contain essential vitamins and minerals needed to encourage stronger and healthier hair growth.
They also high in omega-3 fatty acids, which will help to keep your scalp nourished, creating an ideal growth environment.
Flax seeds are also full of fiber, which will keep your gut healthy and able to absorb all of the nutrients your body needs to grow healthy and beautiful hair.
Ginger is another food that’s loaded with the vitamins and minerals your body needs for natural hair regrowth.
It also contains circulatory agents that will help to naturally stimulate blood flow to your scalp and promote new growth by triggering hair follicles.
Ginger is also another source of fatty acids that will prevent thinning and stop hair loss. To use ginger, take a fresh ginger root, peel the outer layer and squeeze to extract the juice.
Massage for a few minutes and then let the ginger mixture sit for half an hour. Rinse using a mild shampoo.
This can be completed once or twice each week and is also a great way to regrow hair naturally for men.
Conditioner on its own isn’t necessarily bad for your hair. However, many use less than superior brands or use conditioner incorrectly, resulting in weighed down, lifeless hair.
Your hair might look healthy after using conditioner but in reality, your hair is just coated in chemicals. You’re better to focus on naturally making your hair healthier rather than using a conditioner to give you a false sense of reality.
Avoid shampooing and conditioning every day. You can also switch to a conditioner with natural ingredients.
Hair Regrowth Remedy
Still not sure how to regrow hair? I’ve thrown a lot of ways to regrow hair naturally at you so let’s bring it all together with my personal hair regrowth remedy that restored my hair in just a few months.
Keep in mind that everyone is different and you might need to tweek my remedy to make it work for your schedule and hair needs.
I began every day with a bowl of oatmeal. If I didn’t have time, I would whip up a smoothie with my favorite fruits and veggies and some flax seeds.
I would then take a shower, using a regrow hair shampoo and then gently dry my hair.
I would comb it using a wide toothed wooden comb and then spray in my regrow hair products, including an essential oil mist with Rosemary and Lavender essential oils.
Each day, I made a commitment to eating healthier and setting aside time to destress and relax. This was beneficial in so many aspects of my life.
I also applied a ginger treatment once a week along with an egg mask. I did a scalp massage every night before bed and made sure that I was getting enough sleep.
All of these changes to my daily routine, along with some patience, were well worth the effort.
After about a month, I noticed that there was less hair in my drain and that when I ran my fingers through my hair, they weren’t covered in broken strands.
About a month later, I noticed baby hairs starting to grow in, filling in parts of my hairline that were almost hair free.
After another couple of months, no one could tell that I had ever suffered from hair loss.
I had figured out how to regrow hair naturally! My hair was thick, shiny and healthy.
I still keep up a lot of my hair regrowth remedy routine. I make sure that I eat well and I don’t overcommit to projects or obligations. Eating right and taking care of your body shouldn’t only be about your hair but about your overall health.
If you’re ready to make the commitment to your health and recover from hair loss, your hair will be one of many things that improves.