10 Best Shampoos For Hair Loss in 2019
Whether you’re male or female, young or old, hair loss can be devastating.
When bare spots replace thick hair, you’re willing to do just about anything to fix the problem.
When I first began to experience hair loss, I looked into every available option.
At first, I assumed that the best route would be surgical. It was expensive and uncomfortable, but I figured it would be the most effective.
I was wrong.
In the end, what did the trick was shampoo. When surgery failed me, I started a journey to find the best shampoo for hair loss and regrowth.
Finding the right shampoo wasn’t as simple as it might sound, partly because there are so many inferior products on the market.
Luckily, there are also a number of effective solutions that really shine when it comes to reclaiming your hair.
Keep reading to learn which one worked the best and how to grow healthy natural hair while showering.
It really can be that simple!
The Best Shampoos For Hair Loss
I love any product that’s organic and Pure D’or didn’t let me down.
When it comes to the best shampoos for hair loss, this is one of the best. The argan oil gives it a great scent and the consistency is great, which can’t be said for all hair loss shampoos. I’ll admit that I needed to use a bit more than the directions said to get the lather that I wanted in order to feel like my hair was clean but that’s my only complaint with this product.
- Clinically tested and proven to reduce hair thinning
- Promotes hair strength and thickness with increased volume while reducing breakage
- Packed with essential vitamins,
- Formula helps hydrate the scalp reducing dryness and improve hair manageability
- Slows down hair loss
- Hair will lost will not grow back with this shampoo but it helps it regain body, volume, and muster
- Your hair will feel thicker and fuller
- Does not grow hair back
- It is a bit pricey
This argan oil product is another great choice for the best shampoo for hair loss, and for good reason. Art Naturals makes highly effective, well-reviewed products. This one is no exception.
This anti hair loss shampoo is paraben free. It also doesn’t contain any sulfates or harsh chemicals. It’s infused with peach, avocado, jojoba and almond oil, which is a heavenly mixture for your hair.
My hair seemed to drink this shampoo in and I noticed a difference after the first use. My hair just seemed stronger and healthier right away.
With repeated use, I began to notice my ponytail was thicker each time I put my hair up.
I also didn’t have to worry so much about leaving my hair down on days when I didn’t want to style it because less of my scalp was showing.
If you’re looking for the best shampoo to prevent hair loss, this might just be it, especially with all of the amazing natural ingredients that you get for the price.
It really is a great choice for those who prefer to use organic shampoo for hair loss and delivers some pretty impressive results. You can also rest easy knowing that you’re not putting harsh chemicals into your hair.
- Sulfate-free, all-natural ingredients
- Best Treatment for hair loss, thinning and aging-product for men & women
- Infused with Biotin
- Noticeable lessening of hair thinning
- Noticeable difference in just two weeks
- It smells great
- The formula is smooth and lathers really well
- Some users got allergic reactions to this product
Nioxin Shampoo offers six systems for hair growth so their System 1 might not be the ideal treatment for you. It’s made for fine and normal hair types that are beginning to show signs of thinning. It’s marketed as a detoxifying cleanser that removes product build-up, minerals, pollutants, and toxins. This helps to unclog hair follicles and provide an environment free from fungal overgrowth and other issues that can prevent new hair from beginning to grow.
- A professional hair and scalp conditioner
- It is designed for natural hair with light thinning
- Designed to strengthen hair and amplify hair structure
- This conditioner helps retain moisture balance
- The formula is rich, creamy, and stimulating
- It smells great and works great on thinning hair
- Hair becomes soft and manageable
- It helps with dry scalp
- It is expensive
- Amount is too small for its price
Lipogaine is known for its ability to safely and effectively combine natural and organic elements with scientifically proven ingredients. It’s also paraben and sulfate free, which is very important when looking for an anti-hair loss shampoo. One of its main active ingredients is ketoconazole, which has been scientifically proven to help with hair loss.
It also has biotin, which is a great sidekick for healthy and new hair growth.
My hair felt great after using this shampoo and a great side effect is that my scalp felt amazing as well.
It never felt dry or itchy. If you have sensitive skin, this is a great product that won’t dry your skin out.
Choosing the best hair regrowth shampoo is really about finding a product that works. This shampoo gives you the best of both worlds, providing many of the benefits of organic solutions while still giving you the advantages of safe ingredients that have been developed to help you solve the problem. If you don’t mind trying a product that’s not entirely organic, this could be your best choice.
- Free of harsh chemicals
- It smells nice
- Oils feel good and comforting on the scalp
- Helps combat hair thinning
- Makes others’ hair dry and frizzy
When you need a shampoo that works quickly, consider Cayenne & Saw Palmetto. A friend of mine swears by this product and says it’s the best hair loss shampoo for those suffering from hair loss due to medical conditions. After months of treatments for a blood condition, my friend was losing clumps of hair every day. She says that after just one use of this DHT blocker, her hair loss slowed by 75%.
Within a couple of months, she began to see regrowth If you suffer serious hair loss and feel that all hope has been lost, don’t give up…
The best shampoos for hair loss will be able to help you, including this one. While I didn’t try this one myself, my friend’s beautiful and long hair is testament enough that this product works.
- Formulated with pure and organic ingredients
- Fights problems with hair loss
- Natural and effective oil-free formula
- Using this product helps your scalp feel amazing
- It also adds volume to the hair
- You will notice hair growth or baby hair after a couple of usage
- Bottle design is bad, the nozzle is tiny
- You may feel a burning sensation
Here’s another argan oil shampoo that’s geared for both men and women that you’ll love.
This product is a strong contender for best hair regrowth shampoo. Although it may not be the fastest acting shampoo on the market, I found that it really delivered in the long run. I recommend it for anyone looking for an effective way to create and then maintain a healthy scalp environment.
Its ingredients include oils from avocado, jojoba, camellia seed, and almond as well as botanical keratin. This strong and effective formula helps your hair to instantly look healthier and shinier while the proteins help in soothing those dry and irritated parts on the scalp.
Once the condition of your scalp has improved, the other ingredients help to speed up the hair growth process.
This shampoo takes a little more time to work, but once it does, you won’t believe how fast your new hair grows in.
It was hard for me to document this one because it seemed like my hair suddenly changed overnight after a couple of months of consistent use.
- Offers natural ingredient based effective solution
- Add volume and strengthen hair
- Significantly reduces hair loss
- Helps hair stay on the scalp
- You’ll start to notice a difference after using
- Formula is watery
If the price is a concern on your search for the best hair loss shampoo, Nature Lush Organic comes in under budget and is just as effective, based on my experience. This is a great high-end solution with a price tag that won’t break the bank.
I loved that this shampoo had a pump for easy distribution. It’s also incredibly thick and luxurious. The smell is great and it almost doubles as a conditioner because of all the healthy oils in it. And don’t let the price make you think it won’t work.
In just a few weeks, I began to notice tiny baby hairs growing at my hairline that eventually grew in thicker and stronger.
- Sulfate-free and Rich in Saw Palmetto
- DHT hair root treatment for men and women
- 100% pure, natural
- For all hair types
- In just a few weeks of using, hair shows up healthy and lustrous
- Hair will stop shedding
- It is all-natural without harmful ingredients
- It leaves other users’ hair dry
Want to see some scientific data before committing to a hair loss shampoo?
Vitamins showed 121% growth improvement and 47% less thinning in clinical trials. It’s designed for both men and women and is the best shampoo for alopecia restoration.
Want to know a little trick with this product? You can use it to (very carefully) wash off your eye makeup at the end of the day.
I did this and began to see stronger, healthier and thicker eyelashes along with the impressive results on top of my head.
- Promotes natural hair growth
- Adds volume, shine, and needed moisture for each strand of hair
- Drug-free solution
- It stimulates hair growth
- Minimizes hair loss
- Hair looks thicker
- It smells amazing
- Its a good every-day shampoo that helps support the growth of your hair
- Makes scalp itch for some users
Ultrax Labs Hair Surge Caffeine Hair Loss Shampoo delivered on its promise. It contains caffeinated compounds that have been mixed with essential oils and the very effective ingredient ketoconazole for unrivaled results. It encourages hair follicle vitality, meaning that once your hair grows in, it sticks around for longer than the average hair life cycle. The caffeine, along with other ingredients, has been scientifically proven to promote hair quality, thickness and growth cycles.
I don’t know if the caffeinated compounds speed up the process that much compared to other products, but I saw significant improvement in under two weeks with this product.
My only complaint about this shampoo is that it didn’t lather very well. If you love a good lather, this product might not be for you but if you can get past that detail, you’ll love the results.
- Caffeine Science proven hair regenerating premium shampoo
- Highly Effective Micro Blend Caffeine shampoo technology unmatched by other products
- Contains powerful caffeine compounds which have been proven to reduce hair loss
- It stimulates hair growth and block effects of testosterone within the skin
- You will start to feel and notice the stubble filling in thinning areas
Bio Fusion is an affordable and natural hair loss shampoo for both men and women. It promotes new hair growth while stopping hair loss. It has plenty of vitamins and nutrients to improve the condition of your current hair while promoting only healthy hair growth that will stick around for good.
I’ll admit that I didn’t have much faith in this product, simply because the price was so low. The smell wasn’t as good as other products that I tried but overall, I was really impressed.
My hair seemed to feel thicker almost immediately and after about a month, I noticed that new growth was starting.
I also loved how silky my hair felt from this shampoo. For the price, you can’t go wrong with Bio Fusion.
- For topical hair regrowth and prevention
- Helps improve the thinning of your hair
- For dry oily and damaged hair
- Hair feels thicker than before
- You will notice some improvements on your hair
- Smell is not so good
Female and Male Pattern Baldness
Hair loss affects men and women differently. It’s caused by a genetic predisposition to a hormone known as DHT.
When DHT levels rise, hair follicles can no longer perform and hair growth either slows or stops completely.
In male pattern baldness, baldness usually begins as a receding hairline. The crown area also begins to show hair loss.
Eventually, the hair loss begins to affect the entire top of the head. The hair follicles on the side of the head are usually less affected by DHT, which is why most men only experience hair loss on the top of their heads.
In female pattern baldness, thinning hair begins in the middle of the scalp. The hairline usually remains intact but areas around the temples and above the ears might be affected.
While the physical appearance of hair loss differs between men and women, treatment is usually identical.
If you can slow down the hair loss and encourage new growth and longer growth cycles, baldness can be prevented and thicker hair is a possibility.
Why Do We Lose Our Hair?
It’s natural to lose some hair every day. Most people lose up to 100 hairs each day.
This isn’t an issue if new hair is growing in at the same rate that older hair is being lost.
But when the cycle of hair growth is disrupted, either by hormones, fungal infections of the scalp or medications, a hair follicle can stop producing new hair.
Once a follicle becomes permanently damaged, baldness can become a real issue.
When fighting hair loss, it’s all about starting the hair growth cycle again. This isn’t necessarily about the hair you’re losing but more about the hair that you’re failing to grow.
How Does Hair Loss Shampoo Work?
Each hair loss shampoo works a bit differently based on its included ingredients.
But for most, the concept is simple. It strengthens the existing hair that you have and prevents it from breaking. It cleans and nourishes the scalp.
Finding a good shampoo to prevent hair loss is all about addressing the factors that contribute to balding in the first place, and then creating and maintaining a healthy scalp environment in which hair can thrive.
A large percentage of hair loss is due to infections of the scalp that aren’t noticeable.
Once the shampoo has created an ideal growing environment on the scalp, it encourages new growth.
Once new hair does grow in, the shampoo helps to slow down the natural growth cycle and your scalp retains each strand of hair for longer, resulting in longer, thicker hair.
Why Do Some People Have Thinner Hair?
In order to figure out what shampoo is good for hair loss, especially for your particular needs, you’ll want to get a basic understanding of why some people have thinner hair in the first place.
It all comes down to genetics. Some people have more follicles than others, even though the individual strands of hair are thinner.
Some people have less follicles but the strands of hair are thicker. If you have few follicles and your individual hair strands are thinner than most, hair loss will affect you more than others.
Infections That Cause Hair Loss
There are quite a few infections that can cause hair loss and they’re not all that uncommon either. Be on the lookout for the following infections.
- Ringworm: Ringworm is a fungal infection that can occur anywhere on the body. But if you happen to develop ringworm on your scalp, it can cause patches of hair loss.
- Folliculitis: Folliculitis is a condition that causes inflammation of hair follicles. It looks like acne but if left untreated, it can first cause hair to fall out and then permanently damage hair follicles, leaving permanent bald patches.
- Piedra: There are two different types of piedra but both attack hair fibers. If not treated, it can eventually cause the hair to break off.
- Seborrheic Dermatitis: This is mainly known as a skin condition but if it forms on the scalp, the skin can become scaly, itchy and even painful. This can damage hair follicles and prevent new growth.
If you happen to develop an infection of the scalp, there are many different treatments, ranging from antibiotics to steroids.
Once the infection is under control, you can then look to treatment. The best thing that you can do for your hair health though is prevent the infections in the first place.
In extreme circumstances, hair follicles can be permanently damaged and no hair loss shampoo or other treatment will be able to regrow the hair.
How to Wash Hair to Prevent Hair Loss and Thinning
You might not realize that the way you are washing your hair is contributing to your hair thinning. Here are a few things that you can do to help prevent hair loss and thinning in the first place when in the shower.
- Get a Water Filter: Your hair can only be as healthy as what you’re using to clean it. If you have hard water, your hair will become dry and delicate. Keep your hair healthier with a water filter that removes damaging compounds. If anything, get a water filter that fits onto your shower nozzle if you can’t afford a filter for the entire house.
- Don’t Wash Hair Every day: I’ll admit that I never knew this one. I used to wash my hair every single day because I thought that was normal. But if you wash your hair every day, you’re stripping essential oils from the strands, leaving them more vulnerable to damage and breakage. Skip at least a day between washing (ideally more) to allow your scalp’s oils to do their job. If you find that your hair is becoming too oily between washes, get a high-quality dry shampoo to absorb the excess. Your oil levels should balance out after a few weeks of your new washing routine.
- Use Better Products: If you buy your shampoo at the dollar store, you can’t expect a miracle from it. You don’t need to buy the most expensive but take notice of the ingredients and avoid parabens and sulfates.
- Wash Differently: Most people use shampoo and conditioner over each strand of hair. But you really only need to wash the scalp and condition the ends of your hair. Using both products on your entire head is unnecessary.
When it comes to finding the best shampoos for hair loss, the task can be a bit intimidating.
There are so many inferior products on the market that even the good ones have a bad reputation.
Knowing what shampoo is good for hair loss can seem daunting, especially with some of today’s shady advertising practices and fad remedies. Being disappointed time and again by false claims can leave you more than a little disheartened.
However, finding the best shampoo for hair loss is totally doable, and hopefully the reviews and information I’ve put together here will help you to make the best, most effective choice for your situation.
I can assure you though that there are hair loss shampoos out there that can help you gain both your hair and confidence back.