Consider yourself to be a makeup pro?
Even if you’re familiar with all the latest trends and can rock the world’s most perfect smokey eye, there’s still a chance you’re missing out on a key makeup step. Do you use a silicone based primer, or do you skip this critical step?
If you want to put your best face forward, stay tuned for an in-depth makeup guide that will leave you feeling empowered and excited.
The Best Silicone Based Primers
Too Faced goes above and beyond with this primer. It’s made to be used as an eye primer and includes vitamin E to condition and soothe.
The formula also includes unique binders that lock down eye shadow for impressively long wear. You can use it with either cream or powder eye shadow products.
I really liked that an anti-aging ingredient was added to this primer. Our eyes show our age first, so this made a big difference.
This primer was easy to apply and definitely made a difference in the longevity of my eye makeup. It made me believe in eye primer!
- Guarantees that your eye shadows never crease, smudge, or fade
- Contains Vitamin E that conditions and calms your delicate eye area
- Has unique binders that lock down eye shadow pigments for great long wear
- Anti-aging And antioxidant moisturizer
- It is very hydrating and so effective if you want your makeup to last in cold weather
- It has no unusual texture and smell
- This primer helps your eyeshadow to stay on all day
- May cause irritation to sensitive skin
This is a silicone gel primer that’s made to prepare your entire face for makeup application.
It helps to fill in fine lines and works towards giving you even-looking skin.
It leaves behind a silky-smooth makeup base that will help your foundation, blush, and eye makeup last all day.
If you have large pores, definitely give this product a try. It’s the best silicone based primer for large pores because of how well it temporarily fills uneven areas of the skin. You’ll love the difference it makes.
- Has a uniquely transparent and powdery gel texture
- May also be used on your neck and hands
- Loved by professional makeup artists all over the world
- For a more flawless and natural look, it has to be applied before wearing foundation or wearing alone
- It is great for people who have large pores
- This product makes skin smooth and soft by hiding large pores and reducing the oiliness of your face
- When not applied properly, your makeup will look cakey
This lightweight primer is for anyone who doubts the necessity of primer. It effortlessly glides on, and the results are instant. You’ll be able to see and feel the difference in your skin.
This primer is ideal for anyone battling wrinkles and fine lines. There’s also no added fragrance, for those worried about sensitive skin.
I had my mom give this primer a try. She had never used primer before, but she never leaves the house without it now. She’s gotten so many compliments from her friends. Some have even asked if she had work done!
It’s definitely the best silicone based primer for wrinkles.
- It is a clear and lightweight gel that glides effortlessly on your face
- It creates the perfect surface for your favorite foundation.
- Lets your makeup looks flawless and stay in place for hours
- The airless pump ensures the product stays in perfect condition until the very last drop has been dispensed
- Helps fight the signs of raging while making your skin look luminescent and flawless
- This product is easy to apply and easily absorbed by the skin
- It does not leave the skin feeling sticky or greasy
- Can cause small rash-like bumps on skin
Looking for baby soft skin? This primer will do the trick. I like to describe it as liquid silk. It goes on very smooth, and I love how lightweight it is.
It always gives me instant confidence. In fact, I sometimes leave the house with only the primer on if I’m pressed for time. It makes my skin look and feels that good!
I will say that if you’re prone to acne, this might not be the primer for you. And if you do choose to use it, make sure that you’re always washing it off at the end of the day and using hypoallergenic makeup to prevent irritation that could lead to breakouts.
This is not a primer you want to fall asleep with still on your face. But if you’re past acne, this primer is perfect for smooth skin that shines.
- It protects your skin from any dirt and bacteria while maintaining your natural moisture
- Reduces the effects of aging
- It fills in fine lines, wrinkles, and crow’s feet
- Smoothens away large pores, dry patches, and damaged skin
- It comes out thick but feels light when applied
- Product is clear and can be easily blended to other makeup
- Reduces occasional acne
- Not great for oily skin and those prone to acne
Studio Gear adds a couple of extra ingredients to their primer that really makes a difference.
First, there’s retinol to condition. Milk helps to even out skin tone, and protein 20 helps to protect it.
The result is perfectly smooth skin that’s ready for any makeup look you’re after.
This primer is best to use with a mineral or liquid foundation. It really helped me get the flawless appearance I always dreamed of.
It left me with a stunning glow that I thought was gone forever. It made me look younger and feel amazing.
- Contains ingredients such as retinol and milk protein 20 that balance, condition, and protect your skin
- Smoothing surface imperfections for an incredibly radiant complexion
- Contains optical diffusers to further enhance your complexion
- It evens out your skin tone and make it look poreless
- This skin-perfecting formula is so light and weightless
- It also has no scent, unlike some other beauty products
- Coagulates with 1/4 still left in bottle making it unusable
This primer is a must try. It really will keep your makeup in place all day. It smooths your skin and helps diminish the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
I’ll admit that there’s a bit of a strange smell when you first put it on, but it quickly disappears.
Before trying this primer, I had a few dry patches on my face. But with just one day of use, the dryness was gone and my skin was perfectly smooth and soft.
I use this primer on my eyelids as well. When I do, I never have to worry about weird creases or clumps, even at the end of the night.
This primer has saved me so much time. It’s always the one I reach for when I know I’m headed out for a longer than normal day.
- A remarkably lightweight formula
- Contains Aloe Vera and Chamomile to help calm and soothe and Centella Asiatica and White Tea
- Extracts to protect skin
- Goes on clear
- Does not make lip color feather or bleed, and concealer doesn’t settle or puddle in the fine lines around the eye area
- It reduces shine with its matte formulation
- Perfectly glides on to your skin’s texture for effortless make-up application while extending the time between touch-ups
Do you suffer from excess shine? This primer can help. It’s designed to control shine and provide users with a matte finish, making it the best silicone based primer for oily skin.
It’s perfect for all skin types and is oil free and hypoallergenic. If you’ve used primers in the past that just couldn’t keep up with your skin’s oil production, don’t give up on primer yet. Not until you try Temptu. I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised.
Temptu is affordable, yet effective. It will give you the smooth base you need to rock out your makeup all day long. It applies completely clear on the skin, even though it’s white in the bottle, and brings back the smoothness you thought was gone.
- Creates a poreless finish
- It diffuses imperfections and combats oil while helping your makeup last
- It adds a little smoothness to the face
- Makes your makeup last way longer than any other primer
- Gives a nice airbrushed finish
- It controls my oily skin and creates a perfect platform for makeup
- Not compatible with airbrush guns
- Too thick
I had never used a product from Eveline before, so I was a little apprehensive. But I found myself pleasantly surprised.
The primer was a little runnier than I’m used to, but it still provided the base I needed to apply my makeup.
This product doesn’t feel greasy or heavy. It’s actually quite pleasant to put on because it’s so smooth and gentle. My skin instantly improves when I apply it.
A little also goes a long way with this primer, so the bottle is sure to last you longer than most. I don’t use this primer every day, but when I do, I’m confident in the longevity of my makeup and the appearance of my skin.
- For dry and sensitive skin
- Features a new and improved tube packaging
- Smoothes out all dry areas of the skin which lets makeup application flawless
- Helps minimize fine lines around the eyes
- It lets makeup stay on much longer than it normally does
- It really does blur the wrinkles
If you’re looking for a primer made with all natural ingredients, this one is calling your name. It can actually be used before, during, or after your makeup is applied.
It helps your makeup last and gives your skin that flawless glow we all want.
This primer is a bit unique because it’s both a silicone and water based makeup primer, but I found that it worked just as well as some of the more expensive silicone brands I’ve tried.
This brand also works with a variety of airbrush units, so if you’re looking for a replacement, give it a try. It’s light and airy, plus the price is more than fair.
- Made with natural ingredients
- Primes and makes a smooth and even surface for a long-wearing and flawless makeup application
- Long-lasting full day coverage
- High-tech silicone and water-based formula
- This product covers well and works really great with airbrush
- Make skin feel like silk
- Skin looks and feels flawless
- May feel tacky on the skin
What Is a Makeup Primer?
Makeup primer is a necessary base for your daily makeup routine. Just as you would prime a wall before adding color, you need to prepare your face for foundation, concealer, blush, and eye makeup.
Primer helps the true shades of your makeup shine and helps your makeup stay put for longer without smudging or fading.
What’s the Difference Between Foundation and Primer?
Foundation is used to help even out skin tone and conceal blemishes to a certain extent. Primer helps give your foundation something to stick to.
While you can wear foundation without primer, your results won’t last as long and your coverage won’t be as smooth. You can’t wear primer without foundation, though.
It’s not made to even out skin tone or provide the coverage you’re looking for. It should only be used as a base.
What Are the Benefits of a Silicone Based Primer?
There are different types of primer. My favorite is a silicone based primer. It offers many benefits compared to other types of primer, such as the following:
- Provides a smooth base as it fills in fine lines and pores
- Acts as a strong barrier for skin, keeping harmful ingredients from invading pores
- Prolongs the life of makeup
- Most include SPF, which helps prevent skin cancer and redness
- Ideal for controlling excess oil production throughout the day
How to Know if Your Primer Is Silicone Based
There are three main types of primers. WWater-based primers are great, but they don’t always last as long and aren’t as effective at smoothing out the skin and concealing fine lines.
Oil-based primers are smooth, but just as their name suggests, they can leave behind an oily film. This can be a problem for some people, especially if you’re already prone to oily skin.
A simple check of the list of ingredients in your primer should tell you if it’s oil, water, or silicone based. If you want to be extra cautious, a quick call to the brand’s hotline should answer your questions or address your concerns.
What Skin Type Is Silicone Based Primer Best Used On?
While silicone primer is ideal for almost any type of skin, it works best for those with sensitive skin. Just make sure that you’re using a quality primer.
If the price seems too good to be true, especially for a silicone product, it probably is.
How to Choose a Good Silicone Based Makeup Primer
Just as there are different bases used in primers, there are also several different subcategories of primers. To choose the best silicone based primer, you must first decide what type you need.
For example, there are brightening primers that can help give your skin a soft, dewy glow. There are also pore minimizing primers to help give you a more uniform skin appearance.
If your skin tone is uneven, either due to genetics or acne blemishes, a color correcting primer might work best for your skin type.
So in order to find the best silicone based makeup primer for you, analyze your skin type and needs and choose a couple that fit the bill. I’d give each a try for about a week and choose one based on your results.
Keep in mind that there are also different types of silicone used in primers. Look for a medical grade silicone which is noncomedogenic.
This will provide you with a smooth base layer that will allow your foundation to glide on as smoothly as possible.
Silicone Based Primer vs Water Based Primer
Still not sure if a silicone based primer is right for you and your skin?
The other most popular type of primer is water based. The biggest advantage to this type of primer is that it’s more cost effective and less likely to cause breakouts.
But if you wash your skin correctly when using a silicone based option, breakouts shouldn’t be an issue. And while you might pay a bit more, the results are worth the extra splurge.
If your budget and skin type allows you to use a silicone primer, I highly recommend it.
Is It Okay to Use Water Based Primer with Silicone Based Primer?
You can, but it’s best not to mix bases.
For example, if you use a silicone primer, you should use a silicone based foundation. The same goes for water or oil based. When you mix two bases, there’s a higher chance of them separating.
Since primer serves as the base for your makeup, mixing two different types of bases is a recipe for makeup disaster. You might have gotten away with it in the past, but there is always a chance that your makeup won’t last until lunch if you start your morning by mixing two different based primers or foundations.
Now that you know how important silicone primer is, I know you won’t go another day without using it. You’re sure to love the results, and I know you’ll get a few compliments along the way as well.
If you’re going to go through the effort of putting on makeup, you might as well do it right. Grab yourself some silicone primer today and you’ll be a brand new woman tomorrow.